When your animal needs surgery, whether elective or emergency, your vet will give you the options. They will communicate with you and tell you what to expect, before, during and after the surgery. When you book your pet in for surgery, your vet will tell you:-
- What time to bring your pet in
- The rules for no food and no water, prior to surgery
- That they will care for your pet expertly and with love
- To expect a call to let you know how the surgery has gone
- What time to collect your pet
- Any medication that is needed post surgery
- When to bring your pet back for a check-up
Most vets will have a surgical department in their practice. Unless the treatment is extremely complicated – perhaps your dog or cat is going to undergo chemotherapy – most routine veterinary practices are undertaken ‘in house,’ in the surgical theatre.
If you feel comfortable with your vet, then you should feel comfortable with he or she performing the surgery your animal needs.