Paralysis ticks are dangerous parasites, which deliver a deadly toxin. In fact, a single tick can cause paralysis and death. They are increasingly being found year-round but are less common in Winter months. These nasty parasites can be mainly found along the east coast of Queensland, New South Wales and even into Victoria and Tasmania.
Paralysis ticks are generally found near bush land, where they can attach themselves to your puppy as you’re out walking. They are also found in urban areas, and can be carried in by the local wildlife of the area.
What to do if your puppy gets a Paralysis tick:
If you find a paralysis tick on your pet, it must be removed as soon as possible. You can do this carefully or you can take your pet to your vet so that they can remove it.
To remove a tick, dab it with methylated spirits and leave for a few seconds. This will help to kill the tick and it is therefore easier to remove. A tick hook may be used or you can grasp the tick as close to its head/to your pet’s skin with tweezers or fingertips. Twist the tick as you pull it out. It is important to remember that if there is one tick present, it is very possible that there may be another one there – your pet needs to be checked. Keep the tick so that your vet can identify it.
Even-though the tick has been removed it is important to note that it is very possible that paralysis signs may still develop depending on the amount and potency of toxin that has already been injected. Your pet should be kept calm and as quiet as possible for 3 days and monitored for any signs of paralysis.
If you see any signs of paralysis whatsoever (even if it is barely evident), including weakness, especially in the back legs, take your puppy straight to your vet.